Although we were without power and had bad internet connections, the team at Kaptur got off lightly from the devastation that Hurricane Sandy caused last week. We’ve created a Kaptur with some of the photos highlighting the destruction – visit www.kptr.it/hurricanesandy to see them.
(Image from Associated Press)
There are millions of people who still need your help, especially with the Nor’easter hitting! Check out how you can lend a hand:
Text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation to Hurricane Sandy relief
Donate blood! The storm created a blood shortage for 200 hospitals in NYC, Long Island and the Hudson Valley. Locations for blood drives near you can be found via New York Blood Center
Non-perishable, dry and ready-to-eat food (cereal, granola bars etc.), vegetables, and meat (chicken, ground beef) are being collected at:
- St. Jacobi Church at 5406 4th Avenue
- Church of St. Luke and St. Matthew at 520 Clinton Avenue
Both locations are in Brooklyn, New York
Toys for children age 1-5, diapers and baby wipes, children books, art supplies, plastic storage bins, and cleaning supplies are being collected at The CPC Jacob Riis Child Care Center in the Lower East Side.
- 108 Avenue D, New York, NY 10009
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-941-0920 ext.155 for more information
Non-perishable food items and clothing are being collected at the following locations in Long Island (information via Long Island Press)
- 2138 Deer Park Ave., Deer Park
- 770-14 Grand Blvd., Deer Park
- 246 Smithtown Blvd., Nesconset
- 1102 Route 110, Farmingdale
- 2667 Merrick Rd., Bellmore
- 448 Union Blvd., West Islip
- 5135 Merrick Rd., Massapequa Park
- 3899 Hempstead Tpke., Bethpage
- 1518 Union Turnpike, New Hyde Park
- 3965 Long Beach Rd., Island Park
- 2120 Middle Country Rd., Centerreach
- 1330 Hicksville Road, No. Massapequa
- 822 Fort Salonga Rd,. Northport
- 515 Montauk Hwy., West Babylon
- 2323 Jericho Tpke., Garden City Park
- 52 E. Main St., Smithtown
- 15 W. Main St., East Islip
- 360 Route 25A, Rocky Point
- 518 Middle Neck Rd., Great Neck
- Join Sandy Baggers, an organization helping in relief and recovery efforts in Staten Island.
- Visit Rockaway Relief, which is dedicated to helping the Rockaways, Breezy Point and surrounding areas in Queens.
- Or, check Occupy Sandy Relief for a location to volunteer near you!
For real-time updates you can search for the hashtag #HurricaneSandyHelp and #HurricaneSandyVolunteer on Twitter too.
Thanks for all the support and well wishes sent to the Kaptur team! We’d love it if you could show your support to all the people still in need of help.